By: Dr. Rosetta Stith
Perhaps the biggest mistake he made was unveiling his level of idiocy and lack of knowledge regarding a woman’s anatomy while having a wife and two daughters.
What qualifies him is not medicine, but his emphatic truism, which he claims is from doctors, that if it is a ‘legitimate rape’ we have within our bodies ways which will “shut the whole thing down.” He also believes that if it does not shut down while the rape is in progress, and the woman is impregnated, that there should be some punishment for the rapist, and not the child.
Ladies with some sanity and sense of morality, let’s do a reality check for Akin: as women we do not and never will have this automatic ‘shut down button’ in our brain to stop a pregnancy while being raped.
The U. S. Senate does not need conservative, white male politicians like Akin making health care decisions for women. That decision making belong to us.
Instead of uttering preposterous mandates, Akin and other like minded politicians should acknowledge us, hear us, and join us to develop good health care practices and fully funded programs for women, their children, and their families.
- Akin Clarifies ‘Legitimate Rape’ Comments: Women Make ‘False Claims’ About Being Raped (thinkprogress.org)
- Todd Akin Releases Television Ad (huffingtonpost.com)
- Todd Akin, Medical Doctor (boomantribune.com)
- Todd Akin ignores first deadline to drop out of Missouri race. Now what? (csmonitor.com)
- Rep. Todd Akin Says It’s Rare Women Get Pregnant from ‘Legitimate Rape’ (theatlanticwire.com)
- Her mouth said no, but she got pregnant anyway. (wordofawoman.com)
- Todd Akin: ‘Legitimate’ rape victims don’t get pregnant (dailykos.com)